Brilliantly Bronze: Trends for the Home
Posted on November 02 2014
It's warm, welcoming, popular and incredibly underestimated. Bronze is the final metallic in this collection that I wanted to discuss. Whilst gold and silver are always present in design, home and fashion, Bronze is the metallic that has come back with a vengeance. The unwanted metallic more commonly associated with coins and cheap items has been transformed into one of this season's most fashionable accessory colours. Now associated with exclusivity and all things unique, this colour has made it onto every type of item possible. Weather you want a striking new dinner set with bronze colour cutlery or even copper pillows for your bed, there is a place that makes it and there are many places that sell it. Selecting just a few items, I wanted to share with you some key pieces that take full advantage of this incredibly beautiful and mesmerising colour.
1. Tektura Wallpaper - Breezin' / Basalt / Bijoux - copper coloured wallpaper is an easy way to create a striking interior. I have selected three copper coloured wallpapers from Tektura that display display different qualities. Breezin' has a lightgher textured finish, Basalt has a deeper metalic stone finish that is subtle enough to cover a whole room and finally Bijoux has a defined texture that is almost fabric like.
2. Iacoli & McAllister - 7 Piece Frame Cluster - I really love this fitting from Iacoli & McAllister, It looks so light and sculptural, framing each light bulb from multiple angles. This fitting would look perfect over a large dining table. Available in brass, copper and chrome.
3. Tom Dixon - Etch Wood Tea Light Copper - Tom Dixon's new take on the etch tea light holder. This design is focused around the pattern of wood which contrasts to the way that it was created and the material it has been made from. The patterns that these tea light holders create are absolutely stunning. Perfect for a bed side table or sideboard, this intricate tea light will suit almost any style.
4. Connections at Home - Kartell Shanghai Metal vase - The Kartell vase from Connections at home looks great with or without the addition of flowers. A sculptural piece that takes on a different form from every angle is available in two metallic finishes (copper and brass) as well as two gloss and four transparent finishes. This vase would make a perfect centrepiece to a table or a beautiful addition to a sideboard anywhere in the home.
5. Blu Dot - Copper Real Good Chair - This industrial feel chair is incredibly beautiful. What I love most about the chair is that the dirtier it gets, the better. Daily use changes the texture and look of the chair which adds so much character to this item. A chair that ages within its surroundings. (Available from Heal's in the UK)
6. Selfridges & Co - Cutipol Duna Matt copper 24 piece cutlery set - This incredibly stylish cutlery set is available in matt black, brushed steel and the pictured matt copper finish. Perfect for dining and entertaining, the set will most definitely be the talking point of the table with its unique character in shape and colour. The set would look perfect with black or white simple crockery to compliment the colour.
7. Tom Dixon - Hex Bowl Large / Hex Bowl Small - Tom Dixon's designs are so outstanding and individual that you can tell it is a Tom Dixon product by a glance. The Large and small Hex bowls make fantastic additions to a side table or sideboard where the designs can be appreciated like a work of art. Whilst they can be used in a practice way, The Hex bowls have so much detailing and texture to them that I would always treat them as a sculptural work of art to be admired.
8. Cocktail Kingdom - Usagi Heavyweight Cobbler Shaker / Bitters Bottle - Simple in design, it is the copper colour that truly finishes off the look perfectly. Perfect additions to a drinks cabinet and for entertaining, the items are inspired by the 1930s style. The bottle is available in brass, chrome or copper to compliment any drinks set or cabinet.
9. Heal's - Ball Desk Lamp in Copper - A classic design made current and unique by its elegant copper finish, the ball desk lamp is also available in a larger floor version. The colour opens up the options to place this lamp anywhere in the house with rooms such as the bedroom, study or living room being fantastic places to make the most from the product and it's beautiful design.